Sunday, July 19, 2009

Baldwin Street and the Jaffa Race

On Friday I went to the Jaffa race on the steepest street in the world (Baldwin Street). Jaffa's are like oversized m&m's that Cadbury makes. For the past few weeks people in Dunedin have been able to buy tickets to the Jaffa race. Each ticket cost $2 and you are given a ticket with a number on it. That same number is on a Jaffa ball that is rolled down the hill during the race. The first 5 Jaffa's that make it to the bottom of the hill win a prize. I believe first prize was $1,000. This is a huge event and there were over 30,000 Jaffa balls that went down the hill this year. I've posted some photos from the race. I was standing at the finish line. I am going to try and see if I can upload the video I also took. It's way better than the photos! Saturday I woke up sick again...nothing major just sinus and chest stuff. Feeling better today, but when I lay down I can't seem to stop coughing. Last night I went out with my roommates and we went to a local bar and we watched the "All Blacks" game. They are New Zealand's rugby team. We played Australia and won so everyone was very excited. I am not used to watching a sport and not understanding what is going on. I am going to have to do some homework on Rugby because it looks like an intense game! Well I need to get some homework done before classes tomorrow. Grrr...Monday.
















0 comments: